Thursday, July 21, 2011

Why depression can actually make you more outgoing

In keeping with the theme of carpe diem, I've been saying yes to things I never would have before. For instance, I visited an iris farm with my advisor's wife.  Although not something I would have said yes to in the past, I had a great time. The sky was beautiful. The irises were in fine form and I got a great dinner and time with my dog out of it. And so I made a deal with myself that I would start to say yes more than no. Because of this new philosophy, I just got invited to a Russian hot-pot party on Saturday. I have no idea what this will entail, but I'm up for it because the alternative is sitting at home with the dog, drinking cheap wine, playing tug-o-war and watching some awful movie.
Irises against the rolling Palouse hills

Really, anything is better than sitting at home and having that dog stare at me wondering how she ended up with such a sad sack. Other things I've said yes to lately: 
Glacier Vacation
Hawaii Collecting trip
Dog sitting
Designing a humorous post-doc blog
Giving blood
Climbing a mountain
Preparing songs for an open mic night
Mountain biking
Warrior Race

Flowers and clouds on a lovely summer evening
And that's all I can remember right now.
Spasibo.

No comments: